By Paula Jatau
Kidnappers who abducted 177 Christian worshippers from Kurmin Wali community in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State have demanded the return of 17 motorcycles allegedly lost during recent military operations as a condition for the victims’ release.
The worshippers were kidnapped on Sunday morning during coordinated attacks on Cherubim and Seraphim Churches One and Two, as well as the ECWA Church in the community.
Village Head of Kurmin Wali, Mr. Ishaku Dan’azumi, said the abductors contacted a community-appointed negotiator, insisting that the missing motorcycles must be returned or paid for before any ransom discussions could begin.
A resident, Mr. Linus Abu, said each motorcycle was valued at about one-point-seven million naira, bringing the total demand to nearly twenty-nine million naira, exclusive of any future ransom for the captives.
According to Mr. Dan’azumi, the kidnappers accused residents of stealing the motorcycles and damaging others by removing carburettors and spark plugs.
He added that apart from the motorcycles and replacement of damaged parts, no monetary ransom has so far been demanded.
Security sources linked the mass abduction to ongoing military operations against bandit camps in parts of Kajuru and neighbouring Kauru Local Government Areas, which reportedly forced armed groups to flee their hideouts.
Community leaders have called on the Federal and Kaduna State Governments to sustain military pressure, strengthen intelligence gathering, and ensure the safe rescue of the abducted worshippers.




























































